A while back one of the springs that opens our garage door broke. (I didn't realize how dangerous this could have been until I spoke to Jason later!) When he did come look at our garage he advised us to get a new door. He said he could replace both springs if we wanted but he was concerned for our kids' safety especially, because it's such an old system. He also thought that replacing the springs would only provide a temporary solution. He also guessed that it hadn't been closing evenly for a long time. (We've had that problem for MONTHS!) So we're getting a new garage door, probably next week.
The same day that we ordered the new garage door, we paid for Makayla's clarinet rental for the school year, went to pick up stuff for the girls' costumes and grocery shopping.
Makayla's decided to be a ninja. I still have some finishing touches to work on.
Malia decided to be a fairy queen/princess. She looked so regal in her costume! Her clip on earrings broke, and her shoes need some work. It was interesting to see her demanding side emerge, as to why they aren't done yet! :/ She also had her first day of cheer camp yesterday (pictures to come)
Saturday we had our ward dinner and talent show. I remembered fondly learning some hula at my Tutu's (my maternal grandma's) house when I was the girls' age. I wanted the kids to learn a little about some of their heritage.
I'm glad they embraced it! Makayla wasn't sure that she wanted to get up in front of everyone. But when we got there, one of the boys asked about the shell necklace and asked Makayla if she was going to get up on the stage and dance. That's all it took! :)
I think they did really well! I didn't realize they would all bunch up around me, or I would've gone in the center more so you could see Jared better. I hadn't originally planned on getting on stage with them. As we were practicing, they all informed me if I didn't go, then they wouldn't either!
Derek stole the show, of course! He's such a little ham. After we were done, the next number got on stage, and he climbed right up those stairs and sat down. He was not happy about getting brought out of the spotlight.
In fact, he did that for the number after that as well. A friend of ours commented afterward that Derek doesn't seem to know he's a little guy. She observed that he acts like he's 6 foot 2, 200lbs, bullet-proof, and that he walked onto that stage like he owned the place! :) A pretty accurate assessment!
After all of the glowing reviews, and the question, "How do you move your hips like that?", Makayla,on the way home, asked when we can learn another hula! :)
![]() |
| Free invitation card made with Smilebox |
Malia was afraid we were going to have her wear coconuts as part of the costume! (I told her that it was a church function :) he,he, but even if it wasn't, WE don't hula in coconut shells!)


4 comments:
That is quite the cool Smilebox and the video is priceless! What a cute bunch of kiddos!! Glad we got that whole coconut thing straight!!! :) Loved everybody's hip action! Impressive!! Cute mobile and costumes!! Glad you are all getting into the Halloween spirit at your house.
Suzanne, you are gorgeous! Are you sure you've given birth to 4 kids? Your figure and hip-action don't say so! I'm impressed at how well your kids did, and I love that Derek liked the spotlight! Glad you all had so much fun!
Glad that you got up there with them. It's always fun to watch. I still remember your hula at the wedding. You were gorgeous. Seriously, you can't beat some good hip action! You have been up to a lot of fun at your house. Wow, that was quite the smile box!! Nice job!
Next time you need to get Jason up there shaking his hips!
That is so awesome!! I think it's neat that you all have that heritage and you are passing it on. That's funny and great that Malia was concerned about the coconuts :-) And it's cute to hear what a ham Derek is! He is really such an adorable guy with an adorable personality!
Post a Comment