For some reason, it's come to the forefront of my mind lately, along with an enormous gallamaufry (hodgepodge) of things that I've come across lately. I thought I'd share, just because. I hope you find some entertainment in my musings...

Derek was SO excited to be the sole invitee from our family to a friend's birthday party last month. The mother of the girl the pirate themed party was for said he made the cutest pirate! I agree!!

This last fast Sunday I confided in Jason, that I wish I knew why I wasn't catching on. I consistently find myself fasting for more compassion, patience, and charity, especially as a mother...I'm now recalling someone teasingly explaining to me that therein lies my problem; Heavenly Father was not going to just hand those traits over to me, but help supply opportunities for me to practice exhibiting them! Oh, man! Maybe they really weren't teasing...I always had a different idea in mind...more like waving a magic wand...
I need to train myself better in regards to Makayla, and when Primary Presidency members, or in the future, anyone, that asks me if Makayla can give a talk to have the individual defer to Makayla. She has told me very strongly that she doesn't appreciate my volunteering her without her consent. I see her point, especially as she is getting older.
Yet, my feeling is, a Hatt speaks when asked!! From a young age, my parents instilled that sentiment within me. Is it wrong to want my family to feel that way too, or to set that precedence? What do you think?
This morning was a little bittersweet for me.
A friend of mine rekindled my excitement for saving money, especially on household items and groceries. I recently found Skintimate on sale, and picked up a few extra cans, knowing that eventually they would also get used by family members other than myself.
I wasn't ready for that eventually to begin today!

I have been the recipient of SO much kindness!!
Sometimes I wonder if I have been the giver of the same as much as I should be? I remember listening to a Conference talk, and the speaker, referring to, I want to say, Elder Worthlin's mother, expressed her regret as she was nearing the end of her life here on earth, that she wished she had given more service during her life. I was befuddled by that. Where does that leave me, if the mother of an Apostle feels that way?
One of the greatest weaknesses I have is how easily I am diverted, and the innumerable ways that this can occur.
For instance, I love reading. Growing up I always had a book in my hand. My nose was always pressed in a book. As the number of our children grew, I would try to resist the urge to voraciously devour books, because I lose track of time, the kids would be left largely to fend for themselves, chores would go undone, food unprepared...even more so than normal :/ . In and of itself, reading is not a bad thing, but, I also struggle with the weakness of finding a healthy balance in things.
However, when Derek and I dragged Jared to the library last week, I succumbed. I came across two books in the kid section, which I really enjoyed. (Thanks to Jason for taking the boys swimming for a few hours on Saturday, I got to read the bulk of the Unwanteds)...


This last book, a friend gave me to read. It is by a professional female soccer player. I really appreciated the insight. I enjoyed reading it. She used her experiences in soccer and tied them to life lessons. I found it very motivating. Makayla mentioned she would be interested in reading it too. (I think she'd better understand the soccer terms than I did. Having Makayla and Malia play provided me with some clue when she spoke about soccer, but I have never played in a rec league as they do).

At one point Makayla mentioned that she thought she would want to pursue a profession as a soccer player, so it was really interesting for me to get a glimpse of Brandi's journey to where she was around 2004 when the book was written.
Anyway, I'm so glad to be finding some "joy in the journey", gallamaufry, diversions, and all! :)

2 comments:
What a cute pirate! Hatts DO speak when they're asked but there is something to be said about having the opportunity to agree to it for yourself! Everyone likes to exercise their agency! :) I hate to feel forced into doing things without any say in the matter - even if I don't mind doing it! Hatt girls tend to be a bit feisty too!! :) I am so the same way about books also! It's a little scary if I start reading a really long book!
I'm the same way with books- I tend to neglect my family if I find a really good one! I don't think it's a bad thing to like to read or for your kids to see you like to read. I'm trying to come to terms with letting our children have more agency, too. It's so hard! I'm sure it's hard for our Heavenly Father, too.
Post a Comment