Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Stopping to smell roses


With a calender like that, on the one hand, I'm looking forward to soccer being over for a while, and school to be out! On the other hand, the prospect of a bored crew is pretty scary...

Even still, it's nice to know there's always time to, "Stop and smell the roses"...

Malia and her silly tricks! Trying to get her tounge to touch her nose!



Makayla spent the night at a friend's house and they crimped their hair before church.

Look out world, someone is about to turn 10 in a few days!

Well, in soccer news, Saturday after Makayla's game, the coach of the team they played approached me. (He was Makayla's coach maybe a year ago...) He asked if Makayla tried out for the U-10 competitive team. I told him she decided not to, with the traveling, and games on Sundays. He told me he was coaching the U-12 competitive team and he really wanted Makayla to try-out. Makayla's current coach really would like that too. We also got an email with the try-out dates. There is a U-11 team I noticed, but the Sunday games are for me the biggest reason I would want her to choose to stay on a rec team.

I left wondering if I was being selfish. I might not be able to see her play every game. Malia will have games too, and Jared might play soccer, or t-ball (if they play in the fall?). Jason's bound to have something come up during the season. I don't think I would feel comfortable sending Makayla to Portland, or Klamath Falls with parents I barely know. She also gets carsick sometimes. Makayla's coach's wife was telling us that one of the girls on Makayla's and her granddaughter's team from this past fall was on the competitive team this season, and didn't get any playtime (and she is incredible), so she's coming back to the rec in the fall. Additionally, now that Makayla's moving up to U-12 she's apt to be one of the younger girls, even on a rec team.

Jason was at a scout camporee, so when I told him all of this, he said we might have to look into it some more.

I really just want Makayla to have fun, and keep improving, and not have to even worry about missing a game because it's on a Sunday. Her current coach said that if she made it on the competitive team, she could still decline the invite. I don't know, she's only 9 for heaven's sake! Some of the games at the rec level get pretty intense. I'm sure on the competitive level, the games are much more so! I guess I hope she decides to keep playing rec. By the time she gets to high school she'll have plenty of opportunities to experience intense competition! What am I saying? I don't want to even think about her being that old yet!!! :) 10 is already older than I'm ready for!

5 comments:

mom2jjk said...

My vote would be the rec team. I agree that those teams are intense enough. I could not imagine a competitive team! Plus the whole Sunday thing... We knew of families in WA that moved to UT just so their kids could play competitive sports and not worry about Sunday games! I guess I am just not serious enough about sports. :-)

We should go camping together sometime! The park we went to on MD weekend was really nice and only an hour away.

You notice I only took pictures of the "cute" gardeners. LOL

Tell Malia I will have to show her how I can touch my nose with my tongue! No fingers required.

Tara said...

Wow! The calendar is packed! I'm sure you will all enjoy a little break and relaxation! We're just excited that a part of that break will be with us!!!

That's a tough decision about the competitive team but I think your mother's intuition is telling you best. There will be time enough in the future. Makayla sure is talented!!

Natalie said...

It's so crazy to think that Makayla is turning10! I still remember very well, that special day she joined our family. It will always be a fun memory for me! What a sweetie! She is growing into such a smart, talented, and beautiful young women! I am afraid that this is only the beginning of the BIG decisions! We love you!

Miss Megan said...

Makayla is going to be TEN?! You are NOT old enough to have a child that age. Or to have such busy younger kids!

And I can't imagine your kids being bored. They always seem to be up to something. Be prepared for a fun, fun summer!

Grandma said...

Ditto to everything Natalie said for Grandma! As you recall we all got so excited that we (or I) locked the keys in the car and we had to get someone to unlock it before we could speed to Provo for Makayla's grand entrance! THINGS HAVE NEVER BEEN DULL IN THIS FAMILY SINCE!! :) We love you makayla!