Monday, June 15, 2009

Our weekend (unabridged version :) )

Friday afternoon Makayla went to her first sleepover at a friend's house. Poor Jason, by Friday night I had a hard time sleeping! I'm going to be a mess on her first date! After Makayla drove away in her friend's car Jared opened the door and screamed, "I miss you Makayla!" That night when Jason told Malia she could sleep in the front room in her sleeping bag, Malia went running down the hall to tell Makayla the good news only to remember that she wasn't there.
So, not long after Makayla left, Malia, Jared, Derek and I went to one of the local historical homes here in town. They were having a demonstration with a wagon and some live oxen. It was very interesting. It was neat to get a small glimpse of some of the things that were a part of everyday life for the early Saints. I tried to imagine traveling in one of those wagons with the kids, driving a team of oxen, or having to kiss Jason good-bye and doing it on my own...I am once again in awe of our pioneer forebearers...
I had been wanting to visit the Schmidt House, and I was excited that the tour was free (at least it was on Friday afternoon!) :) The Schmidts were a German family, who built the house in the early 1900s. The father left to make his fortune at a mining camp. He didn't have luck with mining, but did make quite a bit of money as a cook in the mining camp. He made very good food. When he returned home, they added the upstairs, and for a while, he ran the first grocery store in Grants Pass. The two daughters (of the 5 Schmidt children)never married, lived in the home all their lives, and when they went to a retirement home in the 1970s donated the home along with most of the furniture and many belongings to the Historical Society.
On Saturday we headed to Riverside Park, and the annual Frog-o-Faire. They have all kinds of booths with different activites. The booths are run by volunteers, and the materials are donated, so everything, except the food is free! We didn't visit each of the displays, but it was still fun. There has been a year or two when our girls have taken dance lessons and performed in it on the outdoor stage there, but I really enjoyed arriving and leaving when we wanted to.
Satrday night we had an Enrichment activity. We had a graduation. Last year we sarted the University of Celestial Arts program. For each month there were a variety of goals to choose from in various areas i.e. Home Management, Education, Health...Depending on the number of goals you acheived there was an equivalent Degree. 24 goals acheived earned a Doctorate, 12+ earned a Master, etc. For High Honors you needed to attend 9 Enrichment activities and have 100% visiting teaching for 10 months, and for Honors do one of the two. I was so excited to earn a Doctorate! I came really close to Honors but wasn't quite there. I got 100% visiting teaching for 9 months! The Enrichment one was more difficult for me, since we don't have Enrichment once a month anymore...anyway...The speaker was excellent, and along with my diploma I recived a tassle (color corresponded with degree), and a necklace with a RS charm of the RS emblem! They really put a lot of thought and effort into it. It was fun to do things I've been meaning to do, but haven't gotten around to, as well as work on things I've been struggling with, but hadn't set an actual goal to gauge progress!
Makayla had a fun time at her friend's house. And we were glad to have her home again!
All in all, a very fun weekend!
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Our weekend
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

2 comments:

Burke family said...

Wow! You guys were busy. The graduation and goal program sounds really neat. We all like a little motivation to do the things we know we should be doing anyways right?

Tara said...

What a fun and busy weekend! Ethan and I enjoyed seeing your pictures. He thought it looked like fun! Congrats on your doctorate degree!