Tuesday morning was the first day back at school. The girls were thrilled that Grandma and Grandpa got to see them in their cute school outfits, and walk them to school! It was fun to see a hot air balloon out as we walked down Leonard St.
Makayla was relieved that her teacher is very nice, and what she thought was Mrs. Boyd yelling at her kids last year (Makayla's fourth grade classroom was next door to her current 5th grade classroom) was really Mrs. Boyd saying, "Mrs. Boyd's eagles..." and the class responding "SOAR!" Malia said after the first day that she couldn't wait to go back to school, because Mrs. Colley is so nice, and fun. The first week flew by!
Friday was a huge leap in letting go for me. Makayla and Malia walked home from school all by themselves! It was great. Derek got to nap a little longer, Mom worked on a fun hobby, and the girls enjoyed feeling more grown up!
Jared discovered the leap pad.
Jason is discovering all of the other fun things you can do with the wii. He has been using the wii fit to track the boys' weight progress. Jared recently went through a slight weight loss. (He gained it back thankfully). But after the loss he said, "Oh no, I'm shrimping!"
During the summer Dallin took an art class. His painting of a condor is displayed in the Grants Pass Museum of Art! How cool is that? We went together to see it. Makayla would've looked at the other exhibits longer, but very shortly, Malia, Derek and Jared were heading down the stairs and out the building, so we had to leave.
Derek loved this bear on display outside the Art Museum. I cringed as I watched him repeatedly kiss the statue.
Yesterday was the first week of eight plus Saturdays of the soccer marathon. Jared's game was first. He loved getting his very own snacks. For some reason he was hobbling around on the field. Seriously it was like watching a David and Goliath reenactment, without Goliath being slain victoriously. Jared was half the size of three or four of the kids on the other team! He still had fun though, and we had fun watching it. Sometimes we forgot we were watching soccer, with the football/rugby style tackles/pile-ups, and the wrestling type bodyslam that Jared took from the blond Goliath on the other team. I decided we would wait until Derek is 5 before he plays kindersoccer.
After the game, Jared's coach complimented Jared on his speed. Pretty small world, Jared's coach is the son of the music teacher at the girls' school! It was fun to see her at the game.
Next up was Makayla's. The kids played at the playground while Makayla was warming up. Derek loves to say, "I made it!" after he reaches the top of something.
This was a much harder game to watch. Really? It was David vs. Goliath part two. Seriously half of the girls on the other team were like twice the size of our girls. Again, no victory slaying! 6-1. Makayla was frustrated that she didn't get her chance as goalie. She was sure they wouldn't have scored as many if she had been in that spot. As I watched, I was secretly glad Makayla wasn't the keeper! Although she told the coach she's played goalie he hasn't put her in that position yet. But the season is just starting, so we'll see. I guess U-12 games are longer. So glad she's in rec, NOT competitive!
I hadn't counted on her game being as long as it was so we had to rush home, grab some food for a late lunch, and take it to Malia's game!
Malia's was the third and final game of the day. Compared to Makayla's game, Malia's felt like minutes. Malia scored three goals! I only saw one, and Jason saw the other two. I tried to take pictures, but they didn't turn out worth keeping. Oh well. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again, right?
Makayla was so pleased with her fort that she made to watch the second half of the game.
Although we tell the kids winning isn't everything, and we just need to do the very best we can, play hard and have fun, (all of which is true, and we do believe) it sure does feel nice to see the kids enjoy a victory. Malia told us the final score was 6-2, (by game 3 I was beyond score keeping) in favor of her team, the "Pink Dolphins". She was thrilled with the color of her team's jersey. Her favorite color!
Jared's team is indigo. He and I were trying to envision what that would look like. He was definitely glad it wasn't the hot pink color of the team on the field next to him! (Or maybe Jason was more glad for his son:) ).
Just a funny aside. Jared's shin guards proved to be too big. He had to trade with Malia. Her shinguards were pink. He was very concerned that someone might see them. We assured him that you couldn't see their color through his black socks. This morning Jason spray painted them black.
And Grandpa, I resisted the urge to initiate holding Jared's hand at his soccer game. (He, he) :) I was very happy when he reached for mine! (Of course he is only 4 :), who knows how long I have to master my resistance skills:) )

3 comments:
Wow!! We missed a lot! This was such an entertaining post - lots to giggle and smile about! Cute, Cute kids! Personally, I'm not the least bit competitive, you know, but winning is always more fun than losing! Sounds like everybody did an awesome job - win or lose!!
Wow! Life with 4 kids is pretty busy, huh? You really will be spending all day at that soccer field. And those kids may be small, but they are very quick and athletic. :)
And I thought 2 soccer kids was grueling! :-) I think the David & Goliath analogy is perfect- Dallas had the same experience with his team this week only his team didn't take it so great- 3 of the 5kids were in tears after getting beat up by the other team (luckily Dallas wasn't one of them). Let the games begin, eh?!
Post a Comment