Thursday, October 20, 2011

"Rise and shout, the Cougars are out!"....

Because of the result of Saturday's game against OSU, Jason and the kids got in their Cougar gear after church and had me take this picture to send to one of his friends who is also an OSU alumni.

Yeah, finally furniture in the living room! (Of course now the family room is empty, but that's okay! For a little while we had our new sectional in there, until we moved it up to the bonus room...)

It's been nice to have something comfy to sit on and watch movies, read, lounge, can you believe I've even managed to take a nap or two on it!?


I mentioned to a friend that I wasn't sure what to do about our little kitchen table. It's a great size for our little nook, but the top is all warped. She suggested I first paint it yellow, then paint it black. Afterward, I should scuff it up a little, so it has a look similar to our family blocks, and our picture frames with the black and white photos in them.

The only thing left is to put a few coats of polyurethane on the table top to protect it, and to make it easier to clean up spills.

Considering that it took me about three weeks to finish the table and chairs...:/ (I had to work on it here a little and there a little. I also found it was cheaper if I bought one can of exterior house paint instead of what I guessed would require around 6 cans of spray paint. I sadly learned however that although I still have over half a can of paint left (which definitely made it a less expensive route- and now I think there's at least one more chair I want to paint), spray paint would have been INFINITELY faster, and produced an even and smoother looking finish!)

I'm hoping it won't take so long to do the polyurethane coats.

After I painted the table and some of the chairs, Malia informed me that she liked it better white.

I'm happy with the way it turned out. The ridged and imprefect finish, gives it texture, and personality, and I've found that instead of having my eye drawn to the warped spots because they're a flaw, my eye is drawn there because I'm intrigued by the grain of the wood or the underlying color, or... I can't explain it...Perhaps my perspective is the only thing that's changed. :)

I guess you can't please everyone!

One of Jason's patients gave us the squash to use as decorations. Wasn't that so sweet of them?

Sadly, still no sign of the battery charger! I'm thinking it won't show up until after I replace it. :( However, our new phone, which I'm SLOWLY learning how to use, has a camera. So, some were taken with it, and some were taken with our digital camera.

Yup, this Cougar feels like rising and shouting, our house is feeling more and more like home!!

3 comments:

Grandma said...

I smiled at all the blue cougar shirts and then Malia's pink one - of course! These Cougars were rising and shouting too!! :) Tell Miss Malia that black furniture is so totally in style right now! I think it looks great! I thought doing my bed was bad - but all those chairs! Yikes!! I am feeling your pain!

Tara said...

I'm so impressed with your decorating skills, Suzy!! Another home decorator in the family! The table looks great! So does your living room! And that cougar fan picture is awesome!! Loyal & true, right?

Burke family said...

Woo hoo! Go Cougars! And I love the decorating! Your living room looks so nice. And for the record, I like the table black. It looks great Suzy!