Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Parenting 505, and "angels among us"

"A sweet and obedient child will enroll a father or mother only in Parenting 101. If you are blessed with a child who tests your patience to the nth degree, you will be enrolled in Parenting 505. Rather than wonder what you might have done wrong in the premortal life to be so deserving, you might consider the more challenging child a blessing and opportunity to become more godlike yourself. With which child will your patience, long-suffering, and other Christlike virtues most likely be tested, developed, and refined? Could it be possible that you need this child as much as this child needs you?" Lynn G. Robbins


My answer is a resounding, "Yes!!" Struggling through motherhood is teaching me more than I ever thought possible. Alone, I am just not enough, and I was never meant to be. This journey is bringing me ever closer and more dependent upon our Heavenly Father and our Savior.

I have to laugh. Just when I think, I might be able to graduate from Parenting 505, one, several, or all, will sign me up again!! Not only is it a class, but for me personally, it has a lab requirement as well. I found as a university student, I had a much more difficult time in the labs, where the principles studied about were applied!!






Fortunately for me, as when I was a university student, there are T.A.s (teachers assistants), to help. These past few days, I am so thankful for, as the song says, "angels among us, sent down to us, from somewhere up above, they come to you and me, in our darkest hours...", even if it's just to listen...I feel lighter as I've been able to honestly say, "I'm really struggling, life is really hard for me right now"...and then somehow, I feel stronger, because I know that I have support, and people willing to share the burden, and I haven't felt judged, to know that loved ones are praying for you, and thinking about you, and you have friends, willing to reach out...THANK YOU!! All this, helps me to keep going, even if it just to put one foot in front of the other, the song, "Faith in every footstep" has a greater meaning to me now!!

2 comments:

Burke family said...

Just look at those 4 sweet smiling faces... that always makes you feel a little better huh?! You are definitely not alone! We are all struggling through this parenting thing together and taking it one day at a time. You are a great mother Suzy and you have such a sweet family. Keep smiling! We love you all!

Tara said...

What a wonderful post! You are amazing, Suzy!! Out of all of conference, that was the one quote that stuck with me, too. Parenthood is not for whimps- that's for sure! But oh, so , rewarding!!